DDW's Commitment to Privacy
Collection and Use of Information
DDW collects contact information to process registrations and send promotional emails to DDW attendees. Credit card information is handled by a third-party vendor to process online transactions. A member’s credit card data is gathered for the short period of time required to process an online transaction. With respect to security, when we transfer and receive certain types of sensitive information such as financial information, we redirect visitors to a secure server.
Cookies are small text files which enable a website to recognize repeat users. Cookies do not collect personally identifying information. They collect information concerning the characteristics of your computer.
We use a third-party advertising company, Feathr, to serve ads when you visit our website. They may use information (not including your name, address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
GDPR Online Privacy Statement
Under the EU's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as:
“any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person."
How we use your information
This privacy notice tells you how we, DDW, will collect and use your personal data for:
- Improving the website user experience
- Providing benefits
- Communicating about the conference
- Sale of mailing lists
- Providing to sponsors of ePosters
- Tailored communication
- Promotional emails for related events or services
- Basic Science Travel Awards
- Ensuring diversity on committees, awards, workgroups
- Networking and tailoring DDW experience
- Session popularity and trends
- Future viewing of sessions through session capture
- Improving the conference for the attendee base
- ADA compliance
- Financial transactions
Why does DDW need to collect and store personal data?
In order for us to provide you with service at DDW and improve your conference experience we need to collect personal data for correspondence purposes and detailed service provision. In any event, we are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
Will DDW share my personal data with anyone else?
We may pass your personal data on to third-party service providers contracted to DDW in the course of dealing with you. Any third parties that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only to fulfill the service they provide on our behalf. When they no longer need your data to fulfill this service, they will dispose of the details in line with DDW’s procedures. If we wish to pass your sensitive personal data onto a third party we will only do so once we have obtained your consent, unless we are legally required to do otherwise.
How will DDW use the personal data it collects about me?
DDW will process (collect, store and use) the information you provide in a manner compatible with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will endeavor to keep your information accurate and up to date, and not keep it for longer than is necessary. DDW is required to retain information in accordance with the law, such as information needed for income tax and audit purposes. How long certain kinds of personal data should be kept may also be governed by specific business-sector requirements and agreed practices. Personal data may be held in addition to these periods depending on individual business needs.
Under what circumstances will DDW contact me?
Our aim is not to be intrusive, and we undertake not to ask irrelevant or unnecessary questions. Moreover, the information you provide will be subject to rigorous measures and procedures to minimize the risk of unauthorized access or disclosure.
Can I find out the personal data that the Organization holds about me?
DDW at your request, can confirm what information we hold about you and how it is processed. If DDW does hold personal data about you, you can request the following information:
What forms of ID will I need to provide in order to access this?
- Identity and the contact details of the person or Organization that has determined how and why to process your data. In some cases, this will be a representative in the EU.
- Contact details of the data protection officer, where applicable.
- The purpose of the processing as well as the legal basis for processing.• If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of DDW or a third party, information about those interests.
- The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
- Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
- If we intend to transfer the personal data to a third country or international Organization, information about how we ensure this is done securely. The EU has approved sending personal data to some countries because they meet a minimum standard of data protection. In other cases, we will ensure there are specific measures in place to secure your information.
- How long the data will be stored.
- Details of your rights to correct, erase, restrict or object to such processing.
- Information about your right to withdraw consent at any time.
- How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
- Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
- The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
- Any details and information of automated decision making, such as profiling, and any meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and expected consequences of such processing.
DDW accepts any of the following forms of ID when information on your personal data is requested:
- Driving License
- Birth Certificate
When You Leave DDW.org
How to Find Out What Kind of Information We Maintain
Upon request, we provide DDW registrants with access to all information (including proprietary information) that we maintain about them. Access this information by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Opt Out of Email
If you do not want to receive emails from DDW in the future, you can unsubscribe directly using a link at the bottom of the DDW email.
Please note: This action does not remove you from third party vendor communications. Please contact the vendor directly for their opt-out procedures.
How to Contact Us
4930 Del Ray Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814