Question Quick Links
To help you meet the submission deadline, we compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions. Along with these FAQs, checkout the full set of abstract submission guidelines web page for more details.
Abstracts will be accepted at the DDW abstract submission site from Thursday, Oct. 15, 2020, through Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020.
DDW will accept Late-Breaking Abstract submissions from Thursday, March 25, 2021, through Thursday, April 1, 2021.
Yes, DDW will accept Late-Breaking Abstract submissions from Thursday, March 25, 2021, through Thursday, April 1, 2021.
There is a $60 non-refundable processing charge per abstract. (There is a $120 non-refundable abstract processing fee for Late-Breaking Abstracts.) Abstracts will not be submitted until payment information is complete. Please note that this is a processing fee and not a publishing fee — abstracts not selected for presentation at DDW are also subject to the fee. Authors have the option of paying by Visa®, Mastercard®, or American Express®. No purchase orders or checks will be accepted.
Refunds cannot be offered for any abstracts that have been submitted for DDW. The fees collected cover the cost to process the abstracts whether or not one registers for the meeting.
Payment may only be made by credit card. Accepted credit cards include Visa®, Mastercard® and American Express®.
- Log into the abstract submission site.
- Select the “Submission Tab” at the top of the page.
- Click on the ”Action” drop down and select “View Receipt.”
- A copy of your submission receipt will open in a new window.
Notifications will be sent by email to presenting authors on Feb. 16, 2021. You must keep your email information updated within the submission site. If your email address changes, please log into the system and follow the instructions to update your information. Authors will also be able to view the status of their abstracts at the DDW abstract look-up site, available on Feb. 16, 2021.
Upon starting the process to submit an abstract, you will automatically be assigned a control ID number. Please keep a copy of:
Submission confirmation email.
Control ID number; located on the top left corner of the submission screen You will need your control ID number to communicate with DDW Administration and/or the ScholarOne technical support team about a specific abstract.
To re-enter the system, you will need your user ID and password. In order to edit an abstract that has been submitted, you must first return it to “draft” status and submit it again after you complete the edits. Failure to resubmit before the Dec. 3 deadline will mean that the abstract will not be reviewed. You will not be required to submit the $60 submission fee when you resubmit your abstract after making edits. No edits, including edits to the author string, are permitted after the Dec. 3 abstract submission deadline.
Your technical questions or problems with the system should be directed to the ScholarOne Technical Support Team. They can be reached by clicking the “Help” button in the right corner of the screen or by emailing email@example.com.
There is a limit of 2,900 characters for the text of your oral or poster abstract submission. Tables/images do not count toward the 2,900 character limit. The 2,900 character limit includes spaces.
There is a separate limit of 255 characters for the title of your abstract submission. Do not include author or institution names in the title of your abstract.
You may include up to two images per abstract. Images will only be accepted in gif, png, tiff, tif, jpg, or jpeg formats. PDFs will not be accepted. For assistance with saving a Word, Excel or Powerpoint table as an image file, watch this tutorial video or view these instructions on taking a screenshot using Windows or using a Mac.
If you copy and paste the title and/or body from your word processor, special characters and formatting may not transfer. You may need to replace special characters by inserting formatting tags using the character palette. To access the palette, click on the “Special Characters” button located on the Title/Body page.
Please enter all authors in the order they should appear in the heading of the abstract. As you enter each author, if you wish to change their order of appearance, please use the column furthest to the left to reorder them. Remember, you must save your changes after you have reordered the authors for them to take effect. Please note that edits to author strings will not be accepted after the Dec. 3 submission deadline.
Yes. DDW will withdraw your abstract when it receives written notification of your intent to withdraw by Feb. 25, 2021. If you would like to withdraw your abstract, please complete the online form. After Feb. 25, we cannot guarantee that your withdrawn abstract will be excluded from publication. If circumstances prevent attendance, the author must arrange for the presentation to be given by a substitute co-author. Acceptance of the abstract obligates the author to present the paper.
- Abstracts that have been submitted to or presented at other national or international meetings, with the exception of the AASLD Liver Meeting, may be submitted provided that prior presentation and/or submission to other meetings is declared during the DDW submission process. Late-breaking submissions, however, will not be considered if they have been presented at or submitted to other meetings taking place prior to DDW 2021.
- Abstracts accepted for presentation at previous DDW meetings are not eligible for submission with the following exception: Abstracts accepted for presentation at DDW 2020 by SSAT may be resubmitted to SSAT for consideration for the 2021 meeting. Authors must complete a new submission for the 2021 meeting by the Dec. 3 submission deadline to be considered; additionally, 2020 encore submissions will not be published in the April 2021 Gastroenterology supplement if accepted for DDW 2021.
- Abstracts will not be considered for presentation if they have been published as an article or have been accepted for publication (including manuscripts) in printed or electronic formats upon the Dec. 3 submission deadline.
- Abstracts will not be considered for presentation if they have been duplicated in any way. Abstracts may not be submitted to more than one category, subcategory or society for DDW.
- Abstracts that have been submitted to DDW in previous years, but not accepted for presentation are eligible for submission.
- Violations of these policies could result in a five year sanction from submitting abstracts to DDW for the submitting author.
DDW’s sponsoring societies have various grants available. Please see a list of DDW-related grants and awards below, and visit the respective society websites for more information:
More Resources for Abstract Submission
Review the Guidelines
Before you submit, be sure to review the guidelines, including submission categories, key dates and formatting instructions.
Watch Tutorial Videos
These brief tutorial videos on submitting an abstract, printing a receipt, converting tables to images and completing a co-author disclosure will guideyou through the submission process.
Head over to the blog for more resources for abstract submission, including advice from past submitters.