When can I submit an abstract for DDW 2018?
The DDW 2018 abstract submission site is now closed. The site will reopen for late-breaking submissions on Feb. 1, 2018.
Does DDW accept case reports or clinical vignettes for abstracts?
Yes! Please submit the case report or clinical vignette using the abstract submitter. Note: case reports or vignettes are not eligible for submission as late-breaking abstracts.
Can I submit a Late-Breaking Abstract?
Yes, DDW invites authors to submit clinical and basic Late-Breaking Abstracts (LBA) for presentation at DDW 2018. The LBA submission site will open at 9 a.m. ET on Feb. 1, 2018, and will close at 5 p.m. ET on Feb. 15, 2018.
How much does it cost to submit an abstract?
There is a $60 non-refundable processing charge per abstract. (There is a $120 non-refundable abstract processing fee for late-breaking abstracts.) Abstracts will not be submitted until payment information is complete. Please note that this is a processing fee and not a publishing fee — abstracts not selected for presentation at DDW are also subject to the fee. Authors have the option of paying by Visa®, Mastercard®, or American Express®. No purchase orders or checks will be accepted.
If I am unable to attend DDW, can I receive a refund for my abstract submission?
Refunds cannot be offered for any abstracts that have been submitted for DDW. The fees collected cover the cost to process the abstracts whether or not one attends the meeting.
Can I be invoiced for abstract submission(s)?
Payment may only be made by credit card. Accepted credit cards include Visa®, Mastercard®, and American Express®.
How can I obtain a receipt for my abstract submission?
- Log into the abstract submission site.
- Select the “Submission Tab” at the top of the page.
- Click on the ”Action” drop down and select “View Receipt.”
- A copy of your submission receipt will open in a new window.
A video tutorial on how to print a receipt is available to watch on the DDW YouTube Channel.
When will I be notified if my abstract has been accepted for inclusion in DDW 2018?
Notifications will be sent by email to presenting authors on Feb. 13, 2018. You must keep your email information updated within the submission site. If your email address changes, please log into the system and follow the instructions to update your information. Authors can also view the status of their abstracts at the DDW abstract look-up site, available on Feb. 13.
If I have to contact DDW Administration or the ScholarOne Support Team for information related to my abstract, what information should I have on hand?
Upon starting the process to submit an abstract, you will automatically be assigned a control ID number. Please keep a copy of:
Submission confirmation email.
Control ID number; located on the top left corner of the submission screen You will need your control ID number to communicate with DDW Administration and/or the ScholarOne technical support team about a specific abstract.
How can I edit an abstract that has been submitted?
To reenter the system, you will need your user ID and password. In order to edit an abstract that has been submitted, you must first return it to “draft” status and submit it again after you complete the edits. Failure to resubmit before the Dec. 1 deadline will mean that the abstract will not be reviewed. You will not be required to submit the $60 submission fee when you resubmit your abstract after making edits. No edits, including edits to the author string, are permitted after the Dec. 1 abstract submission deadline.
I have read the instructions, but I am experiencing technical difficulty with the submission site. What should I do?
Your technical questions or problems with the system should be directed to the ScholarOne Technical Support Team. They can be reached by clicking the “Help” button in the right corner of the screen or by emailing email@example.com.
Please ensure that your message contains your name, phone, email, control ID and an explanation of the problem. Tech Support is available 3 a.m. to 5 p.m. US Eastern time, Monday through Friday. Please do not contact DDW Administration with technical questions about the system. However, general questions about the submission and review process and creating a login account may be directed to DDW Administration.
Is there a character limit for an abstract submission?
There is a limit of 2,900 characters for the text of your oral or poster abstract submission. Tables/images do not count toward the 2,900 character limit. The 2,900 character limit includes spaces.
There is a separate limit of 255 characters for the title of your abstract submission. Do not include author or institution names in the title of your abstract.
How many tables/images may I include?
You may include a combination of up to two tables or images. There is no character maximum for tables, however, please keep in mind a table may be scaled down to fit the publication layout. Authors have the option of building tables at the submission site or submitting a table as an image.
How can I get special characters to copy over if I am using a Word Processing Application to type my abstract?
If you copy and paste the title and/or body from your word processor, special characters and formatting may not transfer. You may need to replace special characters by inserting formatting tags using the character palette. To access the palette, click on the “Special Characters” button located on the Title/Body page.
How do I ensure that authors of my abstract appear in the correct order?
Please enter all authors in the order they should appear in the heading of the abstract. As you enter each author, if you wish to change their order of appearance, please use the column furthest to the left to reorder them. Remember, you must save your changes after you have reordered the authors for them to take effect. Please note that edits to author strings will not be accepted after the Dec. 1 submission deadline.
Can I withdraw my abstract after it has been submitted?
Yes. DDW will withdraw your abstract when it receives written notification of your intent to withdraw by March 1, 2018. If you would like to withdraw your abstract, please complete the online form or contact DDW Administration. After March 1, we cannot guarantee that your withdrawn abstract will be excluded from publication. If circumstances prevent attendance, the author must arrange for the presentation to be given by a substitute co-author. Acceptance of the abstract obligates the author to present the paper.
What is the DDW policy regarding previous presentation, publication and duplication of abstracts?
- Abstracts will not be considered for presentation if they have been, or will be presented before DDW in the U.S. at a national meeting of a society with the exceptions of the ACS Surgical Forum, the NASPGHAN Annual Meeting and the Crohn's & Colitis Congress™.
- Abstracts will be considered for presentation if they were, or will be, presented at national meetings in countries outside of the U.S.
- Abstracts will not be considered for presentation if they have been published as an article or have been accepted for publication (including manuscripts) in printed or electronic formats upon the Dec. 1 submission deadline.
- Abstracts submitted to the SSAT will not be considered for oral presentation if they have been or will be published as an article or accepted for publication (including manuscripts) in printed or electronic formats before DDW, as abstracts selected for SSAT Plenary presentation are required to submit a manuscript at the time of the meeting for publication consideration in the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. Failure to do so will result in a three-year sanction from submitting abstracts for all authors. The exception to this SSAT rule is that authors of basic science abstracts submitted to the SSAT may request a waiver from this manuscript submission requirement at the time of abstract submission. Additionally, abstracts submitted to the SSAT for oral presentation should not be submitted to or reviewed for consideration by other journals before DDW.
- Abstracts will not be considered for presentation if they have been duplicated in any way. Abstracts may not be submitted to more than one category, subcategory or society for DDW. Abstracts that have been submitted to DDW in previous years, but not accepted for presentation are eligible for submission.
- Violations of these policies could result in a five year sanction from submitting abstracts to DDW for the submitting author.
Does DDW offer travel awards?
DDW will award up to 20 Basic Science Travel Awards for the 2018 meeting. Selected authors of basic science abstracts will receive a $1,000 travel grant along with recognition at a reception during DDW. Learn more about DDW Basic Science Travel Awards and additional sponsoring society travel grants.